The City of Saco operates a transfer station on Foss Road. This facility is used for bulky waste that cannot be collected during curbside collection. It is for Saco residents only. A complete list of acceptable materials and transfer station hours are listed below.
Saco Residential property owners may obtain a permit that allows them to deposit up to three (3) cubic yards of acceptable material (including clean asphalt shingles) for free at the Transfer Station. The yardage is good for one year beginning July 1 and will be renewed automatically every year with the same yardage, unless you have obtained additional properties. This permit is similar to a credit card and is permanent for as long as you own your property. You may obtain a permit at Saco Public Works or online by following the link below. If you require a replacement card, we will not be able to process online requests. You can obtain a replacement card for a $5.00 fee paid directly at our office at 351 North St. Once you have used your free yardage for the year, you will be charged the current rates for disposal. We do not issue cards to renters or commercial business property owners.
Property owners of multifamily buildings having six units or fewer, are eligible for 1 permit for up to and not exceeding 10 cubic yards, depending on the number of units in the building. Three yards are issued for the 1st unit, 1 yard for each additional. One card will be issued for multiple owned properties not exceeding the 10 yard limit.
Owners of multifamily units will be issued a permit for yardage based on units owned. Yardage will not exceed 10 yards however.
Transfer Station Telephone: 282-7230
Location: 24 Foss Road
*Please note we have "moved" the transfer station. Still located on Foss Rd, however you do have to drive in through the gate just a little farther. You will see a new and improved disposal site on the Right.
Directions: Follow Route 112 (North Street/Buxton Road) out of the city. 1.5 miles mile beyond the Maine Turnpike overpass, you will see Foss Road on the left.
Hours, What we accept and do not accept, fees - downloadable brochure
TRANSFER STATION HOURS
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
*Please note - Effective 05/02/2017 our gate will be closed daily at 3:45 pm. No admittance will be allowed after this time.
CLOSED DURING SNOW EVENTS - The Transfer station attendant is a plow driver for the City. It is not uncommon for the transfer station to close during storm events, or sometimes even the day after if the event was overnight. Thank you for understanding.
Holiday Schedule, 2017
The transfer station will be closed, or closing early on the following holidays:
- July 4 (Independence Day) Closed
- November 11 (Veteran's Day) Closed
- November 23 & 24 (Thursday & Friday, Thanksgiving) Closed
Station will be open on Saturday, November 25
- December 22 Closing at noon
- December 23 Closed
- December 30 - Closing at noon
The transfer station may also be closed during inclement weather. If in doubt, please call to confirm, 282-7230.
|RATES PER CUBIC YARD|
|Commercial use - demolition||$30|
|Commercial use - Yard waste||$5|
- Furniture (chairs, shelving, tables, mattress/boxspring)
- Bulky household items (couches, carpeting, etc.)
- Construction debris
- Grills, lawn mowers, bikes
- Clothing, shoes, curtains, mini-blinds
- Patio Furniture
- White goods/appliances (see below)
Dishwasher, trash compactor, washer/dryer $10 Freon Appliances (refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers) $10 Notes:
These fees apply with the use of a transfer station permit.
Releasing freon into the environment is a federal offense. Do not release freon yourself!
- Clean asphalt shingles ($35/cubic yard without a card).
- Tires (see below)
- $5/$7 with rim
- Truck tires
- $10/$12 with rim
- Equipment tires
- By weight and size
- Bicycle tires
- Universal Waste (electronics or waste that contains mercury, lead) Special fee applies Special fee applies
- Clean residential brush, leaves, grass clippings (see below)
- Clean residential brush 3 inches and less in diameter may be brought to the transfer station. Brush exceeding the annual allowance of 3 cubic yards will be billed at $6 per cubic yard.
- Leaves and grass clippings will not be charged. Residents must present a valid identification with current address (no P.O. Box) and/or permit prior to dropping off material.
- Contractors disposing of leaves/grass for residents will be charged $5/yard.
- Propane tanks (small and empty). Larger tanks must be taken to a propane dealer.
- Asbestos (in any form)
- Any hazardous waste material and/or chemical
- Lead or Oil Base Paints, Latex paint
- Chemicals of any kind
- Gasoline tanks of any kind
- Regular household trash
- Oil Base Products
- Roofing Tar, Secrete, Driveway Sealer - this includes containers unless washed and dried out
- Large propane tanks must be taken to a propane dealer.
|YARDAGE CONVERSION- Estimated|
|Cars/station wagons||1 cubic yard|
|Pick-up trucks (half load)||1 cubic yard|
|Pick-up trucks (full load)||2 cubic yards|
|Pick-up trucks with sideboards||By measurement|
|Compact pickup||1.5 cubic yards|
|Compact pickup with sideboards||By measurement|
Have a decent mattress to donate? The average mattress has a lifespan of seven to eight years. Unless an old mattress is in complete disrepair, then you may be able to donate it to an organization that accepts used household goods. Some national charities that may receive old or used mattresses and mattress parts, see this website to find out some additional options www.tuck.com
Have a usable item to swap? Find out how!